Welcome to the
Saskatchewan Music Festival Association
Classical Competition Festivals
The Saskatchewan Music Festival Association (established in 1908) is committed to promoting excellence in music and speech arts by providing performance and educational opportunities through competitive music festivals in the Province of Saskatchewan. In addition to the production of 47 district music festivals, SMFA provides a provincial Syllabus, entrance to the annual Provincial Competitions, Concerto Competition and Opera Competition, as well as the National Level of Music Festival competition. Member festivals are organized by local volunteers and judged by qualified professional musicians.
Areas of competition for musicians include: voice, piano, guitar, strings, woodwind, brass, percussion, pipe and electronic organ, choir/school music including special education, multicultural, speech arts (individual verse and speech therapy classes, storytelling), small ensembles, as well as band and orchestral classes. Entrance to SMFA festivals is accessible to all ages, all ethnic groups and people of all religions across the province. Participants may enter any classes for “adjudication only” and forego marks and scholarships. SMFA hires over 170 qualified professional musicians to serve as adjudicators each year.
NEW PROGRAM!!! MEMBER FUNDING:
The Saskatchewan Music Festival Association (SMFA) Member Funding Program is designed to provide financial assistance to Affiliated Member Festivals.
POLICIES AND GUIDELINES:
SMFA Member Funding is administered through the SMFA Provincial Office and provides support to the Association’s mission and current programming of the Saskatchewan Music Festival Association.
Examples of projects for which member funding is intended, include the following:
- Festival Promotional Workshops
- Speech Arts Workshops
- Program Enhancement (website development, software/hardware purchase)
- Professional Training (board governance, minute taking, software training, etc.)
- Adjudicator Fees/Travel Assistance
- Expenses for SMFA Annual Music Conference
- Special Anniversary Celebrations
Application Process (please see below for details):
- Complete application Form
- Submit most recent Financial Statement/Revenue and Expense Form along with proposed project budget
- Submit cover letter, detailing project including anticipated participation (if applicable) and perceived benefits, signed by two signing authorities.
The deadline for submission of applications is OCTOBER 15.
The Saskatchewan Music Festival Association
receives funding from the SK Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport,Culture and Recreation.